Friday, September 17, 2010

Impressed with Drupal

Drupal is the first CMS I've used, so my impression lacks the benefit of meaningful comparisons. I mentioned in a discussion post that Drupal reminds me of DotNetNuke, an open-source web management system (I guess it might be considered a CMS), which I have some novice experience using. In any case, I'm impressed with Drupal. It's fairly easy to use, and is clearly powerful for the development and maintenance of digital collections as evidenced by the number of institutions using it for their own collections.

Of course, based on my limited knowledge, I consider Drupal well suited to managing my 675 collection. There's a great deal of flexibility in defining categories - in fact, it appears any desired category can be created. I'm curious to know how to affect the presentation of the collection, since it currently exists in the default view only. Likewise, I look forward to using some of the "contrib modules" to expand the features currently available.

I'm not sure I have well-defined criteria yet for what features are important to me in a CMS. As I stated, Drupal is the first real experience I've had with this, so I need further exposure to really know what I'm looking for in terms of features and usability. It's natural to trust Drupal because so many institutions (including UofA) use it. I will say that an intuitive interface is important to me, and will be for users as well. Additionally, a variety of stable and powerful modules are important to ensure the site looks professional and the features work correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment