Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Final thoughts on Drupal?

If this was the final week we use Drupal, then I at least wish to report how much I enjoyed the experience. It was actually kinda fun - a new feeling for me since (especially before DigIn) I used to approach new computer applications with apprehension. But everything went smoothly, worked, and the results were quite satisfactory. I look forward to using Drupal again in the future.

I don't have a lot to say, so I'll briefly address both issues presented in the blog assignment. First, I decided to install the Imagemenu module for assignment 2. I'm not sure it enhances my collection in any meaningful way at this point. I chose it because it seemed relevant to a collection of images, and appeared to be an easy install without dependencies. It allows images to be arranged in a menu, and supports "optional mouseover behavior". I'll have to play with it a bit more to realize it's full potential, but for now I'm satisfied that the install worked and the module is functional.

Finally, it's clear (as I stated last week) that Drupal is a great application for managing digital collections. It's a popular choice among institutions for obvious reasons. Of course, we've barely scratched the surface, but this novice feels informed enough to recommend Drupal to libraries/archives and I hope to work with it again in earnest. One thing we didn't really discuss is how to manipulate the appearance of our sites. I know this is secondary to learning how to manage content, but I'm still interested to discover how the attractive Drupal sites I've seen online were created.

No comments:

Post a Comment